This simple and delicious West African fish stew recipe is packed full of flavour and uses a handful of everyday ingredients you may already have in your pantry. This easy Nigerian fish stew is versatile and can be served with boiled white rice or paired with vegetable soups like efo riro to accompany Nigerian swallow.
West African Fish Stew By My Active Kitchen
- 1 kg fish steaks: I am using red headless but you can use hake mackerel or croaker fish.
- 2 large red bell pepper mix
- 1 canned chopped tomatoes substitute with 6 medium Roma tomatoes
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli
- 2 medium onion reserve ¼ of 1 onion for later
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup vegetable oil: swap with palm oil or groundnut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp chicken bouillon powder: substitute with any stock cube of choice
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder